From citizenship tutoring to mentoring newcomers, you can put your interest and skills to work!
WHO ARE CULTURAL NAVIGATORS?
Cultural Navigators (CNs) serve as mentors to help reduce the stress of cultural adjustment, strengthen linkages with vital services and resources as well as open doors to community involvement and family-focused activities. CNs receive training both on-ground and online at Hartford Public Library, and then are matched for a 3-month assignment with individuals and/or families.
• Recognizing that cross-cultural competence is an ongoing process
• Listening attentively with care and interest
• Accepting the role of dedicated advocate
• Having the willingness to donate their time (up to two hours a week over a three month period)
• Serving as nurturers of possibilities
• Providing support and guidance